zondag 15 mei 2016

Epilogue

Epilogue
================================================================
Many people avoid WINE CHEMISTRY, because it is considered too difficult and not necessary. Indeed, it needs some efforts, but it is absolutely doable. The French say it beautifully, << Qui veut peut >>. It couldn't be simpler and clearer. When I started my own research on WINE CHEMISTRY, my chemistry knowledge was limited to O2, CO2 and H2O. My interest on WINE CHEMISTRY started when I learned that  6CO2 + 6 H2à C6H12O6 + 6O2  and  C6H12O6 à
2 C2H5OH + 2CO2.

There are many ‘questions’ and ‘mysteries’ in the study of wine. Why do yeast convert sugar into alcohol and bacteria turn malic acid into lactic acid ?  What are glycerol, fatty acids, high alcohols, esters,  diacetyl, and wine diamonds?  And where do they come from ?  Why is oxidation sometimes good, and sometimes bad in wine?

It is not easy to get answers for those questions. Wine is a bio-chemical product, so I think the answers must be found in Wine Chemistry. There are some WINE CHEMISTRY books, but they are more for professional wine makers. For a chemistry layman, like me,  they are difficult to follow. So I decided to ‘google’ for it. Step by step, piece by piece, learning by doing, I put the puzzles together. I cannot assure you that my findings are the accurate. It is my attempt to get an answer to those questions I had in the study of wine.


The beauty of WINE CHEMISTRY is that it, with its metabolic pathways, provides a clarifying explanation to the phenomena in wine. It also, with its molecular structures, gives a 'face' to the wine components so that we can see  their differences. WINE CHEMISTRY is  desirable if you want to have a good picture of the wine components. WINE CHEMISTRY is certainly needed if you want to give a judgement on what you are told. I see WINE CHEMISTRY as grammar. You can learn to speak a language fluently wthout learning its grammar, but it is unlikely that you can truly understand what is right or wrong. You can study wine without WINE CHEMISTRY, but then you have to take everything you are told for granted.


Here, I would like to express my gratitude to Google. All my findings are 'dug' out from Google. Without Google, there is no way I could have gotten access to all this information and knowledge. Without Google, it would have been impossible for me to share my findings with you. THANK YOU VERY MUCH GOOGLE! YOU ARE GREAT!


Finally, I would like to thank you for reading. If you find my blog informative, please share it with your wine friends. Share and discuss knowledge result to increase and improve knowledge. A joy shared is a joy doubled! 

                                                    





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten